Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Complexity of the Supermarket (not that much though)

Reading: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
Listening to: Bicycle Race - Queen

Today, we had our JEEP area orientation. At our school, JEEP is a social involvement program for juniors wherein we have to take a minimum wage job (for 3 four-hour work days), like maybe a janitor or a garbage collector. The goal of this activity is for us to gain experience in jobs that most Filipinos have in order to survive day-to-day living.
What I got was that of a bagger/merchandiser at the largest supermarket chain here in the Philippines. This morning, we were trained in the "principle of bagging" (yes it was called that) which actually follows a pretty rigid system. You had to be an efficient bagger and should be able to bag 30 items per minute. Balancing the plastics bags is an important factor since you should take care that the customer will be able to carry his/her bags. We were also gonna experience being 'disers, being tasked to ensure that the shelves are properly stocked and ordered.
All of this reminds me that when I was a kid, one of my dreams was to become a cashier in a supermarket. The reason for this would have to be the barcode scanner, be it the gun-like one or those square-shaped ones. I probably found it amusing to hear the beep everytime an item slid through.
I'm really kind of excited to start working, although I'm a bit nervous since there're a lot of policies that have to be strictly followed. I'm still glad though to be having this experience. I just wish that we had a factory worker option or cook option since I think those jobs would be more exciting. :)
ciao.
********
Later this afternoon, I went to the sportsfests of my two orgs. In one, I got hit on the nose hard by a volleyball while we were playing dodgeball (the ball was a volleyball). In the other, me and my partner won a doubles badminton competition. I think today, I played four different sports (not all for competition though).
ciao again.

No comments:

Post a Comment