Sunday, February 22, 2009

First off, since it's virtually impossible I think to have a main theme for each post, I think I'll have to leave it untitled at times...........like this time!!! Hahaha..
**
Last Thursday, I went wall climbing for the first time. I'm not a very outdoorsy person, but I tried it because it was free, because my blockmate invited me and because I'm always up for anything new and challenging. It wasn't that high of a wall but the rock handles (I'm not sure if they're called exactly that) were scattered and sparse, so it was hard to see where you could place your foot/hand next. I didn't get to reach the top coz midway, my arms were weak and shaking already. Despite climbing under the burning sun, it was a lot of fun.
**
Yesterday was our last day of NSTP. (For those of you that aren't familiar, it's stated under Philippine law that all college students who are Filipino citizens are required to undergo the National Service Training Program (NSTP) -we get to choose from LTS (Literacy Training Service-teaching kids), CWTS (Civic Welfare Training Service-medical missions, environment) or ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps-cadets). whew!)
I'm in LTS and every Saturday, we teach grade 5 kids at a public school here. Yesterday, we had a culminating activity that involved song and dance presentations, games, food, farewells and me scraping my knee in front of everyone (don't ask). It was a bittersweet occasion -we were proud that we had done our job in teaching these kids a little more something than they were used to, and also sad that we would miss our weekend mornings with these fun and smart kids. I'm thankful though for all the new friends I got to make, the difference I contributed to these kids' lives and the happy mornings I got to spend with them. :D
**
Just one last thing: Yesterday also, I rode a taxi for the first time -ALONE!! Now I know this isn't a big deal for many, but it is for me. I have had other firsts in the past -riding a tricycle alone at night, commuting past 7 in the evening. All of these has meant I'm over my paranoia that all public utility vehicle drivers are out to get me. Yesterday was another milestone. I rode a taxi though not because of this goal to overcome my paranoia (I doubt I'll do it again soon), but because it was too hot and my things were heavy..more so coz of the former. Gah, it seems that the heat has been taking its toll on me to the point of making me do things I'm "paranoidly" afraid of..hahaha..

No comments:

Post a Comment